If not Naim then........recommendations please

samedi 2 avril 2016

Fasten your set belts for this one which, by the way, I've also posted on other forums to spread the net as wide as poss in terms of responses. It's a long story that I'll keep as short as I can but some context needed.

Until October 2015 I was a long term Linn owner (I know I know....) owning a Majik DSM/2100 bi-amped into Linn Majik 140's. Lovely system, never gave me a minute's bother in the 4 years I owned it but, as I listen to a lot of rock music, it was a bit too 'polite' for me. By the way the setup is:

Flac/HrRes files on Synology NAS > ethernet switch.
Streamer hard wired to network switch also.
Control points are iOS apps or OSX apps.

In Oct last year I fancied a new setup, as you do, and sold the Linn stuff with every intention of going either to a new Majik or Akurate with a set of B&W's to give the sound a bit more, umm, welly. That didn't happen as I heard a Naim system with a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 1's and 8's and was blown away. I bought both but mainly use the 8's and LOVE them. They are staying so woe betide anyone suggesting I change them. I'd rather vote Trump. Well, Mrs Trump actually but that's another story.

Now the trouble is this. After 2 months the first Naim started sulking and blew up, literally, after being temperamental with jumping off the network frequently. Good enough Naim were brilliant and replaced it. Trouble is the second one is showing similar symptoms which is a bit tiresome. I've been through all, and I mean all, the network tests and the issue seems to be that the Naim stuff and my UPnP servers seem to fall out periodically. I run a Synology DS212j running Synology Media Server and recently added MinimSever. The Naim simply decides when it wants to see the UPnP, particularly when there are updates needed. Linn was never an issue running the same setup.

One is now at the end of one's tether somewhat.

So - I am looking at options in terms of what alternative kit I could buy, requiring a streamer and amp powerful enough to drive the MA Silver 8's, with the same NAS setup etc. I'd have a budget of around £5k plus whatever I sold the Naim UQ2 and NAP100 for so quite enough for something quality. I do like the Naim sound so would be keen to try and replicate that or certainly get something with the 'ballsy' signature it has.

Any help much appreciated.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

If not Naim then........recommendations please

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire