Accidental Dynavector HX1.2 mk2

dimanche 3 avril 2016

I've always felt that 30W per channel was never quite enough in my situation, never mind that those are very good Watts indeed. Essentially, they aren't enough to drive my little E-IXs (83-ish dB/2.83V/m) and just adequate for the E-IIIR (87-ish dB/2.83V/m). So I have been on the look out for more very good Watts, preferably of the class A variety.

I never really considered the DV, but have always heard very positive comments about the HX1.2, particular from those with experience of Naim. I moved on from a 52/135 set up about 10 years ago because I felt the 135s couldn't drive my E-V loudspeakers properly. They were replaced by Densen 250/350s, which could. For a long time, I was perfectly happy.

Until I stumbled upon my vintage Pioneer C-21/M-22. To cut a long story short, I don't use the Densen amps much any more. The Japanese combo is really that much better, if you can live with its power limits. I mostly can with the E-IIIRs.

Even if the DV is made locally in NZ, they very rarely come up for resale. My intrigue about this amplifier got the better of me. The price wasn't bad either, considering how much they sell for in the UK. But before I get too excited to hear what 180W can do that 30W cannot, can any past or present owner tell me what to expect?

Are they reliable? Will it need a service first? In the audio signature stakes, are they more like Naim, Accuphase, Audio Research, Krell, Plinius or my near perfect Pioneer C-21/M-22?

Did I make a mistake buying an HX1.2 because it ain't class A?

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Accidental Dynavector HX1.2 mk2

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire