Woodworking question though not hifi related

jeudi 25 février 2016

Not hifi/audio related but I know there are a lot of talented woodworkers on here, so thought it worth asking. I have a roughly 40 year old wooden chess board which has a slight warp that I would like to flatten if possible. It is about 45cm square and high gloss finish on the playing side, unfinished(*) on the underside, which has a slight 'dish' to it so that it ever so slightly warps upwards at each corner. It is only slight, perhaps 2-3mm, but it bugs me a bit and I would like to fix it if it is possible to do so without damaging it/making it worse.

I have read about a few differents tricks/techniques to try to cure it, such as wetting the unfinished side and gently ironing flat with a towel over it, another of simply applying weight over time to allow it to flatten, and still another of laying it unfinished side down in the grass on a sunny day (to allow the underside to draw in moisture and pull back into shape).

Does anyone have any suggestions/tips?

*edited to add, where I have said unfinished, what I mean is that it is a solid wood veneer on the base, I think, which has not been polished/has not had the nigh gloss coating of the playing surface.

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.

Woodworking question though not hifi related

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire