How would you define "time smearing"

lundi 15 février 2016

In this excellent video by Hans Beekhuyzen about Meridians MQA:

http://youtu.be/T5o6XHVK2HA

he talks about the absence of time smearing when he attended a MQA demonstration even though he admits he had no reference point for the system or room that he was listening to. What intrigues me though is towards the end of the talk he says that listening to a solo piano piece there was a complete absence of time smearing especially in the octaves above middle C.

So what exactly is he listening for here? Is he listening for the timing differences between left and right hands of the performer or something different? I would normally put problems like this down to the performance especially on a recording I had not heard before.

Do I need to be very familiar with a particular recording of a solo piano piece and have heard it on different systems before I could identify any time smearing?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.

How would you define "time smearing"

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire